Saturday 25 March 2017

Gig Review: BATTLE BEAST, MAJESTY and GYZE at The Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton (UK) 22/03/2017



I arrived at the Slade Rooms in time to catch the last song of Japanese Metal band Gyze's set, so I can't really comment on their show. What I heard sounded good, kinda like Children of Bodom or Norther, so I'll have to check them out at a later date.

Up next were German Power Metal band Majesty, who played for a full hour to support their new album Rebels. This was my first time seeing or hearing them, and my first thought was that the lead singer sounded like Eric Adams from Manowar, and the instrumental side of their music was a bit more like Virgin Steele. I really like both of those bands, so Majesty really appealed to me. In a world where so many metal bands are full of angst, it's always refreshing to hear a band like this that's upbeat, fun, and whose main message is one of international unity between everyone out there who loves Heavy Metal. Every traditional Heavy Metal cliché is present and welcomed like an old friend. Majesty thrive in an area of the metal genre that is ridiculous and over the top, and if you enjoy this kind of Metal driven escapism, Majesty are definitely worth checking out. The band was very impressive tonight, both in their exemplary playing and crowd participation. They were the perfect band to go on before Battle Beast, and I'm sure that they earned themselves plenty of new fans.

Majesty live in Wolverhampton 2017
Majesty live in Wolverhampton 2017

Headliners Battle Beast were fucking incredible. I've been enjoying their latest album Bringer Of Pain for a few weeks now (check out my review here) so I was really looking forward to seeing them, and I am so pleased that I made the effort to go to the show. Opener Straight To The Heart was pure fire, as the band played a note perfect rendition of it, and lead singer Noora Louhimo's vocals were absolutely astounding. I haven't been that blown away by a lead singer's performance since the first time I saw Rob Halford live! From tonight's performance I honestly believe that when it comes to Metal, Noora is one of the best lead singers in the world right now, and that's no exaggeration. The rest of the band were also absolutely killer, nailing each song with precision and making it look easy. They all seemed to be having a great time on stage too which added to the performance and made for a really entertaining show. The band played most of the tracks from Bringer of Pain and a good mix of early material. I was a little gutted at the exclusion of the 80's Pop Metal masterpiece Dancing With The Beast, but aside from that, the band delivered everything I wanted, including the insanely catchy King For A Day and the wonderfully ludicrous Black Ninja. Battle Beast are on top of their game, and I feel privileged to have seen them at this key stage in their career. The Beast is rising and the future of Heavy Metal is in safe hands.

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

Battle Beast live in Wolverhampton 2017

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig