Thursday 30 August 2018

Album Review: PRIMAL FEAR - Apocalypse

Primal Fear - Apocalypse

01. Apocalypse
02. New Rise
03. The Ritual
04. King Of Madness
05. Blood, Sweat, & Fear
06. Supernova
07. Hail To The Fear
08. Hounds Of Justice
09. The Beast
10. Eye Of The Storm
11. Cannonball
12. Fight Against Evil (Bonus Track)
13. Into The Fire (Bonus Track)
14. My War Is Over (Bonus Track)

I'm sure that fans of Power Metal are no stranger to the magnificent beast that is Primal Fear. I was a big fan of bassist Mat Sinner's band 'Sinner' back in the 90's (Respect and Judgement Day are well worth a listen, by the way) before the formation of Primal Fear, so when I heard that Mat was involved in what's effectively a Heavy Metal super-group involving ex-Gamma Ray singer Ralf Scheepers, I was totally in. Many years later and numerous albums down-the-line, Primal Fear are still going strong.

I'm not going to lie. Primal Fear sound quite a lot like Painkiller-era Judas Priest, and they're very good at it. That's blatantly why they appeal to me so much. They also share that over-the top love of Heavy Metal which is also hugely endearing. Their song Metal Is Forever is one of the best songs ever, and has cemented Primal Fear's place as a band I will always pay attention to.

Apocalypse is their twelfth studio album, and I'm pleased to say it's business as usual. Their business being Heavy Metal, naturally. As is always the case with Primal Fear, this album is rock solid. There are no bad tracks and the level of musicianship is still very impressive.

My personal favourites include Hounds of Justice, with its slamming Metal verses, nicely juxtaposed with melodic choruses that make the listener want to hit the replay button. I also absolutely love the Heavy Metal power-ballad Supernova, and the stomping yet uplifting scorcher that is Hail to the Fear.

Ralf Scheepers is still easily one of the best Heavy Metal vocalists in the world and Apocalypse is testimony to that. All-in-all, this is yet another great Primal Fear album and a wonderful addition to their legacy.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig