Wednesday 26 September 2018

Movie Review: THE BOY (2016)

The Boy 2016



After watching a few 'scary doll' Horror movies in recent months, I noticed The Boy on Netflix and decided to give it a go. To be honest, I was expecting another predictable movie about an evil doll that comes to life, does bad things, makes bad things happen, the usual. I can honestly say that I was very surprised, and I'm really happy that I took the time to watch it.

The story is about a young American woman who takes a job in the UK to escape an abusive relationship. Her job is to be a nanny for an eight-year-old boy called Brahms who lives with his wealthy parents in a large remote house in the countryside. The twist is that when she gets there and the parents introduce her to Brahms, he's actually a fucking creepy doll. What's even creepier is that the parents talk to and treat this doll as though it's actually their son. They go on holiday and leave the new nanny with Brahms at the house, along with a set of rules she must follow, such as 'Never leave Brahms alone' and 'No guests'. Believing the couple to be bat-shit crazy, and Brahms to be 'just a doll', she doesn't follow the rules.

The Boy is beautifully shot and the location is amazing, adding so much character to the movie. What makes such a ludicrous story work so well, aside from the pacing, is the superb cast. Lauren Cohan, who is best known as Maggie from The Walking Dead, is absolutely brilliant, and had she been anything less than brilliant, The Boy could have quite easily been a piece of shit. Casting her really paid dividends, as her performance had me gripped throughout.

I won't go into the realm of spoilers, but the further you get into this movie, the smarter you realise that it is. There is an awesome plot twist that I didn't see coming, and having seen countless Horror films, I rarely get caught out. The Boy may be loaded with jump-scares, but it's also quite clever and well developed. I'm sure I could find plenty of plot-holes if I wasted my time looking for them, but it's a Horror movie, and The Boy delivered the goods in every way I wanted it to.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig