Thursday 4 March 2021

Album Review: OMNIMAR - Darkpop

 


01. Wishing For Life
02. Serenity
03. Oxygene
04. Red
05. Music Is My Everything
06. Drama
07. Humans
08. First Snow Day
09. You & I
10. Circulate
11. Secret Plan
12. Feels Like Velvet
13. The Road


I recently discovered Russia's Omnimar when their video for Feels Like Velvet was recommended to me on YouTube. What a fantastic song and video. It's visually stunning, and the song compliments it perfectly, making an atmospheric, electronic, masterpiece. 

The title Darkpop pretty much sums up their over-all sound. I'd describe it as Dark Pop, or Gothic Electronica. The band is a duo, Maria and Alex, and they've been quite prolific over the last five years, with a string of superb releases. I feel quite ashamed that I hadn't heard of them until now.

Darkpop is all beautifully crafted, and unquestionably elegant. There is a maturity to both the lyrics and the compositions, creating mystical soundscapes that you could imagine being used in the soundtracks of big-budget movies.

The whole album is great, but were I to choose favourites, I'd have to go for Wishing For Life, Feels Like Velvet, Serenity, and Red. The latter is possibly the sexiest song ever written. 

Part of their magic is that their songs are all so listenable. I've listened to Darkpop several times from start to finish, and haven't felt inclined to hit the skip button once.

Omnimar is all kinds of awesome, and I hope that I'll get to see them at a live show someday. Until then, I'm going to continue indulging in this new record and their back catalogue. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig