Thursday 30 November 2017

Album Review: VAMPS - Underworld

VAMPS - Underworld
01. Underworld
02. Calling
03. Break Free
04. Don't Hold Back
05. Bleed For Me
06. In This Hell
07. Inside Of Me
08. Rise Or Die
09. Sin In Justice
10. B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Blood)
11. Rise Up

VAMPS (Not to be confused with shite Indie band The Vamps) is a Japanese duo, comprising of vocalist/guitarist Hyde and lead guitarist K.A.Z.

I first discovered VAMPS when I picked up their greatest hits album Sex Blood Rock n' Roll for the bargain price of £2.00 in a sale at a local record shop. I'd heard the name VAMPS, and I took a risk on it, and I'm very glad I did, as they have some amazing songs in their repertoire. When I found out that they'd recently released a brand-new studio album, I was on it!

Underworld is their fourth studio album, and one of the first  thatI noticed was the (over)use of white noise and distortion weaved into an otherwise flawless production. I have no doubt that this is stylistic, giving the record an industrial sheen. On some of the tracks, including the opener Underworld and single Calling, the music sounds over compressed and lacking in dynamics.

Musically, the general sound of this album reminds me of a less aggressive, poppier Spineshank, complete with distortion, Nu Metal slamming riffs, and angst driven anthems. For me, the standout tracks are Break Free, which harks back to the early years of Papa Roach and Linkin Park, the intensely catchy Calling, and the 'Emo teen-angst-tastic' Inside Of Me.

The music videos they've released so far look like they cost more than the average Hollywood movie, so someone, somewhere must be investing heavily in VAMPS. For that reason, alongside their abundance of commercial Metal numbers, I expect to hear a lot more from them in the future.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig