Tuesday 7 May 2019

Album Review: BLUTENGEL: Un:Gott

BlutEngel - Un:Gott

01. Together As One
02. Into The Void
03. König
04. Praise The Lord
05. Not My Home
06. Alles
07. Seductive Dreams
08. Vampire
09. Surrender To The Darkness
10. I’m Alive
11. Am Ende der Zeit
12. Teufelswerk
13. Resurrection Of The Light
14. Morningstar
15. The Last Song


I've become a big fan of these German Electro-Goths over the last few years. I reviewed their previous album Leitbild (click here) and have gone back to it many times as it has grown on me like poison ivy.

This new album follows a similar path to the previous ones musically, and again has some songs sang in German and others in English. Lyrically, they've mostly gone back to the world of Vampires, Satan and generally criticising Christianity, all laced with a mix of guitars and Darkwave beats that make the listener want to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. It's as though Ghost and Depeche Mode formed a super-group together!

My only real criticism, and it's a minor one, is that although Un:Gott is a very good album, its predecessor Leitbild was a stronger record generally. Un:Gott does have some cracking moments though. I absolutely love Vampire, which Chris Pohl pronounces "Wampire", making it sound even more German than usual. It's a really catchy single and a great introduction to BlutEngel for new listeners.

Morningstar is great slice of sinister pulsating Electronica, which has a Metal vibe due to the heavy drum-beats at the start and in the choruses, and some glorious vocal work from Ulrike Goldmann.

Other highlights include the anthemic Surrender to the Darkness, Into The Void, and the dancefloor damaging Alles.

I really enjoyed Un:Gott and I've already found myself listening to it repeatedly. I have no doubt that, like Leitbild, it's going to grow on me even more over time.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig