Tuesday 8 October 2019

Album Review: KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - Atonement

Killswitch Engage - Atonement

01. Unleashed
02. The Signal Fire (feat. Howard Jones)
03. Us Against The World
04. The Crownless King (feat. Chuck Billy)
05. I Am Broken Too
06. As Sure As The Sun Will Rise
07. Know Your Enemy
08. Take Control
09. Ravenous
10. I Can't Be The Only One
11. Bite The Hand That Feeds




I remember seeing someone on social media respond to the news of this new Killwsitch Engage album with "Eleven new songs that sound like the old ones that are all about overcoming adversity. Sign me up!" I laughed because that's pretty much how I feel about Killswitch Engage. They don't change much at all, yet I buy their albums in a heartbeat. You know what you're gonna get and you know it's going to hit the spot.

My small gripe with Killswitch Engage is that they made two of the finest contemporary Metal albums ever with Alive Or Just Breathing and its follow up The End Of Heartache. Subsequent records have had the odd killer song here and there, and although they're all very solid albums in their own right, those two aforementioned albums have never been bettered. I doubt they ever will be, but I know their records will always have a bit of magic on them, making them always worth picking up. They're a bit like a Metalcore AC/DC in that respect. The records are consistently good, but if you think you're going to get Highway To Hell or Back In Black again, forget it.

Atonement does have some stand-out moments such as the emotive and beautiful I Am Broken Too, and The Signal Fire which features guest vocals from former lead singer Howard Jones. Hearing Howard duet with Jesse was worth the price of a CD alone. Other beasts include the opener Unleashed, and the brutal machine that is Ravenous and the infectious melodic I Can't Be The Only One.

Their consistently high standards have seen Killswitch Engage survive a plethora of scenes that came and went. Their music has a deep emotional connection with fans, as well as monstrous riffs that keep the mosh pits churning. They have a winning recipe, like a Metal version of KFC. Long may they reign.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig