Friday 27 March 2020

Album Review: THE BIRTHDAY MASSACRE - Diamonds

The Birthday Massacre - Diamonds


01. Enter
02. The Sky Will Turn
03. Diamonds
04. Run
05. Flashback
06. The Last Goodbye
07. Crush
08. Mirrors
09. Parallel World

As I sit here typing this review, I, like millions of other people, am on 'lock down' due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The Birthday Massacre did their bit to lift people's spirits by putting the whole of their new album on YouTube a couple of days ago. It was a lovely jesture and one that's been welcomed by their fans, including me.

The Birthday Massacre is an awesome band. I've been listening to them since 2007, and also had the pleasure of touring with them a couple of years back on the UK dates of their 'Under Your Spell' tour. Incidentally, my review of that album is here.

If you're already a fan of the band, you will know how consistent they are. Nothing has changed in that respect. Diamonds has the gorgeous synths and the dark pop sensibilities that they are known for. Every song has been meticulously crafted into something magical.

Choosing favourites is an almost impossible task, as I love all of them. However, the tracks that initially grabbed me the most are the lead single The Sky Will Turn, the epic The Last Goodbye, and my overall favourite, the 80's-tastic Run.

There's nothing as crushingly heavy as Red Stars or Pins and Needles on here, but I'm not fussed about that. This collection of songs sit nicely together, and Diamonds is great to listen to from start-to-finish. Does anyone else out there still listen to albums in their entirety? Kids today etc..

Diamonds is another gem (I couldn't bring myself to type diamond) in their catalogue, and hits the listener with the same passion and creativity as their classic records.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig