Thursday 5 March 2020

Album Review: LORDI - Killection

Lordi - Killection


01. Radio SCG 10
02. Horror For Hire
03. Shake The Baby Silent
04. Like A Bee To The Honey
05. Apollyon
06. SCG10 The Last Hour
07. Blow My Fuse
08. I Dug A Hole In The Yard For You
09. Zombimbo
10. Up To No Good
11. SCG10 Demonic Semitones
12. Cutterfly
13. Evil
14. Scream Demon
15. SCG10 I Am Here



I love Lordi. They represent everything that's both ridiculous and wonderful about Heavy Metal. This new album is a fictional compilation, where each new song is written and produced to make it sound like it was written in either the 70's, 80's or 90's. It's a fun concept, and a great way to ensure the album is both different from its predecessors and novel in its own right. I'm also amazed that no-one has done anything like this before. Well, not that I'm aware of anyway.

Before the album's release, they put out three songs on YouTube. The first, Shake The Baby Silent is a weird one. It's clearly the 90's style, as it sounds like Rob Zombie's Superbeast and Dragula in a blender. I'm not too sure that the lyrics about shaking a baby to death will get much mainstream airplay. It'd be funny if it did though!

Second up was I Dug A Hole In The Yard For You, which is absolute classic Lordi. When I heard this, I was immediately psyched for the new record. It has that vibe of Hey Stoopid era Alice Cooper, which I am a total sucker for.

The third was Like A Bee To The Honey, which is wonderfully 80's. It was written by Kiss' Paul Stanley and Jean Beauvoir from Crown Of Thorns (not the Death Metal band, the other one!). Jean also wrote Feel The Heat from Sylvester Stallone's Cobra movie, which is incidentally awesome, and also has the same DNA as this new track. Obviously, I love it.

Now the full album has dropped, I can tell you that it has exceeded my expectations which were fairly high to begin with. The Kiss influence is very apparent on some of these tracks, especially Blow My Fuse which sounds like Gene Simmons dominating the 70's. Zombimbo has a disco vibe like Kiss' I Was Made For Loving You and Blondie's Atomic. The retro production on both tracks makes them ooze with character.

Other favourites include the opener, Horror For Hire, which has a chorus that's more infectious than coronavirus. The same can be said for the 'serial-killer-tastic' Cutterfly, which had me hitting the repeat button several times. Up To No Good is a fun rocker with a guitar riff that reminds me of Motley Crue's Looks That Kill, which I'm sure is intentional, and ridiculous-yet-fun lyrics that Twisted Sister would have been proud of. I also really like the super-heavy Evil as it sounds like the offspring of Slayer and Testament with that classic Lordi twist.

Killection is great fun and packed with some of Lordi's best tunes to date. I'd go as far as to say that it's their best album yet.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig