Tuesday 6 November 2018

Album Review: BLOODBATH - The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn

Bloodbath - The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn


01. Fleischmann
02. Bloodicide
03. Wayward Samaritan
04. Levitator
05. Deader
06. March Of The Crucifiers
07. Morbid Antichrist
08. Warhead Ritual
09. Only The Dead Survive
10. Chainsaw Lullaby
As I've stated many times, I'm far from the biggest Death Metal fan in the world. There are a few artists I like, but for the most part, I find the genre quite stale and the bands similar to the point where on record, I often struggle to differentiate between them. I'm sure the Death Metal connoisseur has ears that are attuned to telling apart one set of cookie monster vocals and growling noises from another. However, every now and then, I'm strangely in the mood for this kind of music.

Being a massive Paradise Lost fan, I had to check this out because Nick Holmes is also the current singer of Bloodbath. In addition, I caught Bloodbath at this year's Bloodstock Festival (read my review here). 

The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn is heavy and savage, drawing influence from the old school Death Metal sounds of the early 90's, as opposed to some of the more polished records that have come out in recent years. This is compounded by guest appearances from artists from bands of that era, John Walker from Cancer, Jeff Walker from Carcass and Karl Willetts from Bolt Thrower, who all appear on the track Bloodicide.

Bloodicide is certainly a highlight on the record, with its big, crunchy riffs that brings to mind bands like Entombed and Dismember. There's a welcome splash of Death n' Roll in parts of the album, most notably on Wayward Samaritan and Warhead Ritual which breaks things up a bit and adds character.

I didn't think I'd like this record at all, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it. Bloodbath seem very self-aware, as well as being impressive writers and musicians. The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn is like the ultimate homage to 90's Death Metal, and I think that element of nostalgia got me on board. It makes me want to dig out those Earache Records compilations we used to get for free on cassette. If you were there, you know what I'm talking about.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig