Tuesday 7 March 2017

Album Review: DANKO JONES - Wild Cat

Danko Jones - Wild Cat


01 I Gotta Rock
02 My Little RnR
03 Going Out Tonight
04 You Are My Woman
05 Do This Every Night
06 Let's Start Dancing
07 Wild Cat
08 She Likes It
09 Success In Bed
10 Diamond Lady
11 Revolution (But Then We Make Love)


I've been a Danko Jones fan since I first heard the album Sleep Is The Enemy back in 2006. It's a straight forward piece of incredible Hard Rock / Rock 'n' Roll, full of catchy songs and with no fillers whatsoever. Fortunately, consistency is one of Danko Jones' strong points, and the band hasn't let me down yet, so here we are in 2017 with yet another great album.

If you're new to Danko Jones, imagine a hybrid of Backyard Babies and Royal Blood with a bit of Misfits thrown in for good measure. The band consists of Danko Jones (vocals/guitar), John 'JC' Calabrese (bass guitar) and Rich Knox (drums).

Opening with the high octane I Gotta Rock, Wild Cat gets off to a promising start. 
"I Gotta Rock. I'm telling everybody". Yes indeed! There's a fine line between awesome and ridiculous, and they snort that fine line right up their collective nose.

My Little RnR soon follows, which brings the swagger and a massive chorus, showing why it was a great choice for a first single. Going Out Tonight has a distinctive Misfits vibe and sounds like the soundtrack to pre bar fight drinks. You Are My Woman sounds like Danko Jones' interpretation of Thin Lizzy, plus other highlights include the driving Diamond Lady, and the 70's rock tinged Revolution (But Then We Make Love) which finishes off the album nicely.

What I like about this album (as with Danko Jones' records in general) is that the songs don't outstay their welcome. They're short bursts of adrenaline and Rock 'n' Roll, and the longest song is the title track which clocks in at 3:46. The whole thing is 38 minutes which means it's one of those albums that you can put on and listen to in its entirety without getting bored and skipping tracks. Musically, Danko Jones have delivered pretty much what I expected, and that pleases me greatly.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig