Wednesday 17 June 2020

Album Review: SORCERER - Lamenting Of The Innocent




01. Persecution (Intro)
02. The Hammer of Witches
03. Lamenting of the Innocent
04. Institoris
05. Where Spirits Die
06. Deliverance (feat. Johan Langqvist)
07. Age of the Damned
08. Condemned
09. Dance with the Devil
10. Path to Perdition



I must confess that this is my first time listening to Sorcerer. I heard the track The Hammer Of Witches on YouTube, and the first thing that came into my head was Tony Martin era Black Sabbath. I'm a huge fan of those record, particularly Headless Cross and Cross Purposes, so anything that has a sound reminiscent of those classics is worthy of my attention.

The crushing Blues Metal of the song Lamenting of the Innocent is utterly majestic. It's like the heaviest Sabbath with the melodic epicness of Magnum, coupled with some superb lead guitar work.

Other stand-outs for me include the Doom Metal beast Where Spirits Die, the ballad Deliverance which features Johan Langqvist from Candlemass (incidentally, Candlemass and Sorcerer sound very similar at times), and Condemned.

For the Doom Metal genre, Lamenting Of The Innocent is a superb album. For my personal tastes, I don't like too many slow, long tracks as I can get a little bored. I certainly think that this record would have benefited with a couple of more upbeat songs like the awesome The Hammer Of Witches.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig