Thursday 11 June 2020

Album Review: XIBALBA - Años en infierno

Xibalba - Años en infierno

01. La Injusticia
02. Corredor de la Muerte
03. Santa Muerte
04. Saka
05. Años En Infierno
06. En la Oscuridad
07. El Abismo I
08. EL Abismo II#

I recently checked out Xibalba because, if I'm honest, I love that album cover. I'm not the biggest Death Metal fan in the world, but I do really like some stuff, and I have to be in the right mood for it, and right now I'm in that zone so I've been digging into Años en Infierno. In fairness, it's more 'Blackened Thrash' than Death Metal, but it's brutal and I have no doubt that it will appeal to any aficionado of those aforementioned genres.

On first listen, this record instantly brings to mind early Sepultura, most prominently their Beneath The Remains album. Xibalba are very much grown from the musical seed of that record. Having said that, they're far from a clone band, as they mix different extreme genres to bring some serious filth and chunkiness.

It's hard to pick favourites, but I'd have to go with the Hardcore-flavoured high-octane Santa Muerte, which is juxtaposed with a couple of welcome sick n' dirty break-down sections. I also love the chugging groove-monster that is the title track.

Overall, I enjoyed Años en Infierno a lot. It made me nostalgic for 90's releases from bands like Dismember, Entombed, and Bolt Thrower, but also has plenty of character of its own.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig