Wednesday 28 October 2020

Album Review: ARMORED SAINT - Punching The Sky

 


01. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
02. End of the Attention Span
03. Bubble
04. My Jurisdiction
05. Do Wrong to None
06. Lone Wolf
07. Missile to Gun
08. Fly in the Ointment
09. Bark, No Bite
10. Unfair
11. Never You Fret

Punching The Sky is Armored Saint's first studio album since 2015's Win Hands Down, and their first record since their 2017 live album, Carpe Noctum (read my review here).

I have a lot of time for Armored Saint. I first discovered them shortly after their singer, John Bush, joined Anthrax, back when I was a teenager. Armored Saint's Symbol of Salvation album is still one of the best Metal albums ever made. Even though their albums have been a little hit and miss for me since their reformation, there have always been enough quality moments to make each record worth a spin.

Punching The Sky sounds pretty much how I expected. It's solid American Heavy Metal. John Bush's voice makes everything sound amazing, so I knew this album would be a winner. Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants is a great, high-octane opener, and has that classic Armored Saint sound. 

It feels lazy to say "It sounds like Armored Saint and it's all good", but that could easily be my review and leave it at that. For fans like me, that's all we need to hear. They're more reliable than an old Les Paul, or your favourite kebab shop on a Saturday night.

For me the stand-out tracks are the three they've made videos for, Missile To Gun, Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants, and End Of The Attention Span, but I also feel the need to give a shout out to the amazing ballad Unfair, and the epic Fly In The Ointment.

I'm genuinely grateful that the legendary Armored Saint are not only still around, but are putting out records that stand proud against their back catalogue.

 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig