Monday 9 October 2017

Gig Review: STRAY FROM THE PATH & CAPSIZE at Rebellion, Manchester (UK) 08/10/2017


Being useless, I turned up late to the show and missed Renounced and Obey The Brave. What was really annoying was that Obey The Brave were scheduled to go on at 8:45pm as the third band on the bill. They went on second, and I missed them, which was a real shame. I sped up the motorway to make sure I was in time for their set, but alas, someone decided to put them on early and I was fucked out of seeing them. I saw a few other people in their T-Shirts turn up late, and they looked noticebly pissed off about this last minute, unannounced reshuffle. To ease my woes, I bought their new album from their merch stall. Anyway.....

California's Capsize were really good. Their show was full of youthful energy and rage, ticking all of the 'Hardcore boxes', whilst having their own identity through some nice melodies entwined with some heavy riffing havoc. The crowd loved them and there were plenty of 20 somethings with ear tunnels and Toni & Guy haircuts in the mosh pit, as well as a few older Hardcore dudes, demonstrating their wide appeal. Their set was short and sweet, and they stayed around long enough to whip the crowd up into a frenzy, ready for the headliners.
Capsize
Capsize
I haven't been into Stray From The Path long. I recently reviewed their new album (check it out here), and noticed that they were playing Manchester, so I decided to check them out. I didn't realise how popular they had become in the UK, and was pleasantly surprised to see so many people at a gig on a Sunday night. 

It's in a live setting that bands like this truly shine. As much as I like the album, an intimate gig like this one is the place to really experience their music. The energy from both the band and from their audience was through the roof, as Stray From The Path tore through tracks from their new album as well as earlier material. Goodnight Alt-Right and Plead The Fifth were particularly incendiary, and mirrored the rage felt by so many in the lyrics.

Stray From The Path gave 100% tonight, and they were nothing less than superb. It's always nice to see a band on top of their game, and that's what we witnessed in Manchester. I have a feeling that this was one of those shows that the audience will remember for a long time. 
There were a handful of Hardcore bands I saw as a teenager back in the 90's that left a huge impression on me, such as Biohazard and Downset, and I'm sure that Stray from The Path had the same effect on the teenagers who went to this show. Gigs like this are how lifelong fans are made and inspire people to start bands of their own. 

Stray From The Path have rocketed up in my estimation. If you are into this genre, don't miss out, and go to see them play as soon as you can!
Stray From The Path
Stray From The Path
Stray From The Path
Stray From The Path


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig