Monday 28 May 2018

Album Review: JIZZY PEARL OF LOVE/HATE - All You Need Is Soul

Jizzy Pearl Love/Hate - All You Need Is Soul

01. You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone
02. Comin' Home To The Bone
03. High For An Eye
04. All You Need Is Soul
05. House Of Sin
06. Mortified
07. Frustrated
08. When The Devil Comes
09. You Don't Know What It's Like
10. It Doesn't Matter
11. Little Treasures
12. Mr Jimmy

Love/Hate were one of my favourite bands when I was a teenager. I still consider their first two records Blackout In The Red Room and Wasted in America to be two of the best records ever made. I was also lucky enough to see the original line-up live! However, each subsequent record was more and more disappointing, with 1997's Livin' Off Layla being possibly the worst album I've ever heard. It really is an absolute piece of shit, but is worth a listen for the same reason one may might look at a car crash on the motorway.

Anyway, fast forward a few years and Love/Hate started to tour, with front-man Jizzy Pearl being the only original member. I caught a couple of shows and really enjoyed them. I also remember seeing an online spat between Jizzy and another former band member when he announced that new music was coming out under the Love/Hate name. I guess this is why it's come out as Jizzy Pearl of Love/Hate. Personally, I don't care either way. I just want a good record.

Opener You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone is great, and easily the best thing Jizzy has released since those first two aforementioned albums. Furthermore, it actually sounds like early Love/Hate which is exactly what I wanted! The title track All You Need Is Soul is another scorcher and one of the best songs on the record.

There are plenty more songs on here that sound like they belong on a Love/Hate record such as House of Sin and Mortified, but there are a few curveball tracks too. When The Devil Comes is a slower, more blues based track with a splash of heavy Doom, and Little Treasures which has an undeniable Alice in Chains vibe with those dark Grunge riffs.

All You Need Is Soul is a great record and is sure to please nostalgic Love/Hate fans, but sounds current enough to appeal to a much wider audience, were it given the opportunity.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig