Wednesday 7 November 2018

Album Review: SLASH (FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS) - Living The Dream

SLASH (FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS) - Living The Dream

01. The Call Of The Wild
02. Serve You Right
03. My Antidote
04. Mind Your Manners
05. Lost Inside The Girl
06. Read Between The Lines
07. Slow Grind
08. The One You Loved Is Gone
09. Driving Rain
10. Sugar Cane
11. The Great Pretender
12. Boulevard Of Broken Hearts


I was surprised to hear that Slash was recording a new album with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, as he's spent the last couple of years touring with Guns N' Roses as part of one of the most successful tours that the world has ever seen. I was hoping so much for new Guns N' Roses material, then hearing the announcement of this record made me immediately think that things may have gone sour with Guns on the creative front, so he's decided to put all of his latest ideas into another solo record instead. Fortunately, if recent press interviews are to be believed, new Guns N' Roses material may be on the horizon after all.

Like his other records with Myles Kennedy, Living The Dream is a solid Rock N' Roll affair, with top notch musicianship and Slash's signature guitar tone all over it. Although this line-up is responsible for some absolutely stellar songs, I can't say that I love any of the albums in their entirety. Living The Dream is the same in that respect. There's nothing crap on here at all, but I do wish that there were some killer singles that made me want to listen to them again and again on repeat. Instead, I feel that the material here is 'very good' at best. By anyone else's standards, Living The Dream would be a massive achievement, but I just feel that Slash is capable of so much more than what his last few records have delivered us.

The first three tracks, The Call Of The Wild, Serve You Right, and My Antidote, set Living The Dream off to a strong start. They're three of my five favourite tracks off this record. The other two are the ballad The One You Loved Is Gone, and the rocker Driving Rain.

As I stated before, this album is indeed very good. I just feel that I've heard all of this before, as though some of the riffs are recycled from previous albums, and the initial magic from this line-up hasn't been re-created, even though the ingredients are all present.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig