Wednesday 6 May 2020

Album Review: TRIVIUM - What The Dead Men Say

Trivium - What The Dead Men Say


01. IX
02. What The Dead Men Say
03. Catastrophist
04. Amongst The Shadows & The Stones
05. Bleed Into Me
06. The Defiant
07. Sickness Unto You
08. Scattering The Ashes
09. Bending The Arc To Fear
10. The Ones We Leave Behind



Trivium have always been one of those bands that I feel that I should like more than I actually do. They play a style of music I like, and are all killer musicians, but they, more often than not, fall short in the writing department. Trivium do have some killer songs though. When they came out, they were more of a Metalcore band, but despite becoming a massive act pretty quickly, they were no Killswitch Engage. Later on the band morphed into some kind of Metallica-meets-Nickelback kind of melodic radio-friendly Metal band. Again, some of their material was great, but most of it didn't excite me much.

I recently heard the title track to this album and What The Dead Men Say may well be one of the best songs they've ever released. It certainly made me interested enough to check out the full record. The new drummer clearly kicks fucking ass and Matt Heafy's vocals sound better than ever.

Trivium still sounds like Trivium, but something has clicked with me. It's as though they've mastered mixing Metalcore with melodic mainstream Metal, complete with huge choruses, and anything a bit 'cringey' is now gone. Trivium have totally nailed it this time, and What The Dead Men Say is a superb accomplishment.

I thought the title track may be their best track, but now I have the album, the following song, Catastrophist is even better. It has an element of classic Metal and Thrash that resonates with me. Imagine the best melodic Slipknot song ever, but more refined. Seriously, it's fucking ace.

I like the whole album, but the other stand-outs for me are The Defiant, Scattering The Ashes, and The Ones We Leave Behind.

What The Dead Men Say is one of the best Metal albums of 2020 so far, and I have no doubt that it will win them new fans across the globe, especially people like me who weren't that into them before.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig