Friday 16 April 2021

Mini-Album Review: SAINT AGNES - Vampire

 


01. Repent
02. Psalm I
03. Vampire
04. Psalm II
05. No Pussy Blues (Grinderman cover)
06. Psalm III
07. This World Ain't Big Enough
08. I'm With You Everywhere I Go
09. Psalm IV
10. Wish (Nine Inch Nails cover)
11. PsalmV


I've been listening to Saint Agnes for a couple of years now. They have managed to craft a distinctive 'Noise-Rock' sound, whilst experimenting with and incorporating different styles into their music, keeping things fresh. For example, their song Diablo Take Me Home has a White Stripes vibe about it, whereas the more recent Daughter Of Lucifer channels the aggression of The Prodigy, with some fat distorted bass. Regardless of these different hats they've worn, they've always sounded like the same band, and proven themselves to be a killer contemporary Rock act with an array of massive tunes.

With the release of Vampires, it seems like Saint Agnes have really found themselves. Sometimes, the pieces just connect with a band, and that's when they start releasing career defining records and cementing their legacy. With this mini-album, they've done just that. Not only is this their best release so far, but it has lit a match for them, and we're about to watch the fire.

Kicking off with the feral rampage that is Repent, Saint Agnes have set the tone for what's to come. I love this song. It's catchy, intense, and I can imagine this track going down a storm live.

Vampire is another attitude-drenched rocker, and has a super-catchy poppy chorus that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head. I listen to a lot of new music, and I can't think of a better song I've heard this year.

The other two original tracks, This World Ain't Big Enough, and I'm With You Everywhere You Go are great too. Noisy, and full of life. The covers are great too, especially Wish, which is one of my favourite Nine Inch Nails tracks.

Saint Agnes are ticking all of the boxes for hitting the big time. They're young, cool, contemporary, and have massive cross-over potential. I can see them becoming huge with fans of Goth, Punk, Metal, Indie, and anyone who loves a bit of savage Rock n' Roll. What's not to love?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig