Saturday 17 March 2018

Album Review: MGT - Gemini Nyte

MGT - Gemini Nyte


01. All The Broken Things
02. Every Little Dream
03. Dystopia (Feat. Burton C. Bell)
04. Trading Faces
05. Everything Undone
06. The Reaping (Reprise)
07. Say Hello Wave Goodbye (Soft Cell cover)
08. The Assembly Line
09. Armageddon's Sideshow
10. Tear The Sun
11. Waiting For A Sign
12. Hide Your Secret
13. Atlanta (Stone Temple Pilots cover)

This is the second solo album from the awesome guitarist and songwriter Mark Gemini Thwaite, AKA MGT. If you follow my blog, you'll know that his 2016 debut, Volumes, was my album of the year (read review here), so I had really high expectations for the follow-up. On the last record, Mark was joined by a number of different vocalists, including HIM's Ville Valo and The Mission's Wayne Hussey amongst many others. This time round, he has The Awakening's Ashton Nyte on every song. I'm really pleased by this as the songs he sang on the debut were two of my favourites, and his vocals compliment this style of music perfectly.

The opening song All The Broken Things is Goth Rock gold, with its crisp atmospheric guitars, and huge melancholy chorus. Every Little Dream, written by Ashton Nyte, also screams out as an obvious single with its upbeat yet moody tone and Pop sensibility.

Other highlights include Tear The Sun which reminds me of The Mission at their bleakest, and Waiting For A Sign, which has a drama-soaked chorus and an epic guitar riff that makes me want to dig out my early Cult records. The album is finished nicely with a moving cover of Stone Temple Pilots' Atlanta, which is a wonderful tribute to the late Scott Weiland.

There's even a new version of The Reaping, which seems a little pointless as the original version found on the MGT debut album was pretty much flawless, and this new one doesn't really add anything to warrant it being an album track. A B-Side or bonus track perhaps, but its inclusion is a little strange. Regardless, it's still a great song.

On first listen, I found Gemini Nyte to be a good album with a couple of obvious singles, but the more I listen to it, the more I'm getting into it. The debut MGT album was a bit more 'instant' in that respect. This new one has a lot of depth, and it does take a few plays to really appreciate how impressive it actually is. It's certainly one of my favourite albums of the year so far, and I've listened to it in its entirety several times now, which is testimony to its quality.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig