Monday 20 November 2017

Album Review: PRIEST - New Flesh

Priest - New Flesh
01. The Pit
02. Vaudeville
03. History In Black
04. Populist
05. The Cross
06. Private Eye
07. Nightmare Hotel
08. Virus
09. Call My Name
10. Reloader

Yes! New Flesh is finally here! I've been really looking forward to this debut album since hearing the first Priest singles earlier this year (see review here). I'm still non-the wiser as to who's actually in this band. I've been lead to believe that Ghost's ex-keyboard player is involved, but I have to admit that I'm enjoying their anonymity and the theatre surrounding it.

Musically, they still remind me of a mix of Depeche Mode's Violator, Paradise Lost's Host, and Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine, but now I've heard the whole record, throw in some Ultravox too.

There's very little in the Gothic Electronica / Darkwave scene that excites me anymore, but I absolutely love Priest. Their songs are so catchy and listenable, but manage to do this without steering too far into Pop territories, and when it does, it's into 80's waters.

All of the songs are brilliant and I'm struggling to choose favourites. However, if I was forced to at gunpoint by a man in a spiky gimp mask, I'd probably go for The Cross, History In Black and the ultra-80's Call My Name. New Flesh ticks every box I hoped it would, and it's definitely one of my favourite albums of 2017.

Priest is easily the most exciting thing to happen to the Goth scene in the last ten years. Hands down!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig